Free Consultation|USA Only +1 (866)754 4460|Outside USA +1 (516)822 3100 or +1 (631) 623 5100 - Website Logo
  You are here : Home  >   Services  >   Income Tax Filing Across The USA  
TESTIMONIALS - Testimonials  

Difference Between Wages, Salaries & Tips!

Difference Between Wages, Salaries & Tips!
Existing customers please login to check the status of your order at Infotax Square Login here (0) (0)
0/5 stars (0 vote)
Category : > Income Tax Filing Across The USA
Posted On : Tue Oct 06th,2009

Difference Between Wages, Salaries & Tips!

Wages and salaries

Wages and salaries are payments received by an employee for performing services for an employer. Generally, any payment received for performing personal services must be included in your gross income. Amounts withheld from pay for income tax, social security and Medicare taxes, pensions, insurance, and union dues are considered "received" and must be included in gross income in the year they are withheld. Generally, your employer's contribution to a qualified pension plan for you is not included in gross income at the time it is contributed. However, amounts withheld under certain salary reduction agreements with your employer may have to be included in gross income in the year they are withheld.

If an employer pays your social security and Medicare taxes without withholding those amounts from your pay, that amount is considered pay and must be included in your gross income.

Payments received for cancellation of employment are included in gross income, in the year received, and should be reported the same as wages and salaries. This statement is true even if the payment was received as settlement under the Age Discrimination and Employment Act.

Your employer should provide a Form W-2 showing your total income and withholding for the year. Total the wage and salary amounts reported on all your W-2 forms. (If filing a joint return, you must also include all amounts reported to your spouse on your spouse's W-2 forms). Enter the amount on the appropriate line for wages, salaries, and tips on your tax return. Also total the federal income tax withheld from all your W-2 forms, and your spouse's W-2 forms if filing a joint return.


All tips you receive are considered income and are subject to federal income tax. You must include in gross income all tips you receive directly from customers, tips from charge customers that are paid to you by your employer, and your share of any tips you receive under a tip-splitting arrangement with fellow employees. The value of non-cash tips, such as tickets, passes or other items of value, is also income and subject to federal income tax. If your employer reports allocated tips in Box 8 of your Form W-2, you should report the allocated tips on Form 1040, unless you have adequate records to show that you received a different amount. Do not include as a tip any service charge that your employer adds to a customer's bill and then pays to you and treats as part of your wages.

If you receive tips in excess of a certain limit in any one month from any one job, you must report the total tips to that employer by the tenth day of the next month.

You must report tips to your employer so your employer can withhold federal income tax and social security and Medicare taxes or railroad retirement tax on your tips. Any tips you reported to your employer are included in the wages on your Form W-2. Report to your employer only cash, check, or credit card tips you receive.


InfoTaxSquare helps filing Income Taxes in all fifty states. If you need our services please click order now button or for additional information read more. For live assistance can be called at +1 (866)754 4460 or email at 24/7 online help is available!



Committed to give our users most updated news!
For instant news please subscribe at

Leave Your Comments
Your name :
Email Address : Will not be published
Please enter your email if you want us to send answer to your email. We have a strict policy of not to share your email address with any other party.
Your message :
Insert these letters into the textfield below: (required, case-sensitive): DDCPI
Do you want to Subscribe for
InfoTaxSquare Business News Bulletin?
Comments (3)
Watson Jemmy   wrote on : Tue May 04th,2010
I'm a daycare and don't charge for services. But I do have employees. Do I withhold state tax from payroll?      View Detail
Reply :

Yes, It is required and you also must carry workers compensation and disability insurances

Elhami Daira   wrote on : Tue May 25th,2010
I am on H1B visa and recently switched jobs. My former employer failed to run payroll for a period of time I worked for them. Perhaps, my former employer paid partial wages as cash and not reported on W2 Form. Now, how would I report this to IRS? Former employer declined to send me a corrected W2 and not interested in reporting to IRS regarding the cash paid to me. Being on H1B, I am uncertain that how would I report the cash I received from my former employer. Since I already filed my 2009 tax returns with the W2 provided by them, would I be able to file an amendment for this income.      View Detail
Reply :

Technically you can only report the income showing on your W-2. To reconcile the wages reported is an internal affair between you and your employer. You have to request to your employer to issue a corrected W-2 if possible.

joseph mathew   wrote on : Thu Mar 01st,2012
what are the differences between wages and salaries      View Detail
Reply :
Dear  Joseph Mathew:

Salaries and Wages both serve the same purpose for compensating your services.

Load More

Copyright © 2010, Infotax Square All Rights Reserved. - Allows Payment Processing With Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover
Terms and conditions, features, support, pricing and service options subject to change without notice.