What is a Church?
Some peoples define the church as a building but we may explain as “A Church building simply called Church, wherein worship and religious actives are performed by Christian.
Who is a Christian?
The groups of peoples who believe in Jesus Christ or followers of Jesus Christ are called Christians.
Who can start / register a Church in the US?
Any resident or non-resident of USA can start / register a Church as per applicable laws, state policies and county regulations.
What are the steps to start/ register a Church in the USA?
- Gather those peoples who are like minded to you to raise fellowship. IRS required at least one founder member that do not have blood relation with each other or marriage relation.
- Define the scope of your proposed church like the level of membership, the location of the church, funds and activities to be undertaken by the church.
- Select a distinctive and unique name for the Church
- Draft a statement of belief, which is to be required by the regulator of the state
- Prepare and file a certificate of Incorporation for a non profit organization / certificate of formation for a non profit organization before the regulator of the state.
- To register a church, you also need to draft a series of bylaws or constitutions for the church.
- Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN), which is mandatory to avail tax exempt status and opening and bank account.
- Apply for tax-exempt status with the IRS
- Open a church bank account
- Build a powerful website to promote, share and funds raising purposes.
How many founders are required to start a church in the USA?
Every state has its own requirement to register a religious corporation, such as New York requires at least six members and the State of California requires minimum one member to start.
How to define the scope of a church?
You can define the scope of the church by defining the level of membership, the location of the church, funds and activities to be undertaken by the church.
What should be the name of a church?
Selecting a name for a church may be a sensitive decision, but make sure the name should be distinctive, unique, attractive and having good sound.
What is a statement of belief to register a church?
Why are you starting a church? What core beliefs will govern your ministry? What distinguishes your church in terms of doctrine and creed? These are questions to take up with a statement of belief.
How to incorporate / register a church as a nonprofit?
In many states, such as Texas, the application is filed with the state secretary to obtain a certificate of incorporation or certification of the formation. You may opt to engage a CPA or lawyer in incorporating the church as nonprofit.
What are the bylaws to register a church in the USA?
To register a church, you also need to draft a series of bylaws or constitutions for the church. It includes all about the roles and responsibilities, internal policies and procedures, meetings etc.
How to obtain EIN for a church?
Whether you have employees or not you must have to obtain Employer Identification Number (EIN), which is mandatory to avail tax exempt status and opening and bank account.
How to obtain tax exempt status for a church?
After obtaining the EIN you may apply to IRS for tax-exempt status, you just have to file form IRS1023 under section 501(c) (3), which is for nonprofit charitable organizations.
How to open a bank account for a church?
To open a bank account, you need EIN, Board resolution and the list of signatories. Bank may ask you for a certificate of formation and bylaws.
How a website can promote and raise funds for a Church?
Now we are in the digital word, we can’t overlook the reliability of website to promote, build a network, share thoughts and funds raising system, so a powerful website should be maintained.
How to File Taxes for a Church?
Religious organization do not file taxes with the Internal Revenue Services.