Free Consultation|USA Only +1 (866)754 4460|Outside USA +1 (516)822 3100 - Website Logo
  You are here : Home  >   Services  >   A Company Dissolution Library  
TESTIMONIALS - Testimonials  

Closing a Business Checklist!

0/5 stars (0 vote)
Category : > A Company Dissolution Library
Posted On : Sat Jul 17th,2010

Source of information IRS official site. Closing a Business Checklist

There are typical actions that are taken when closing a business. You must file an annual return for the year you go out of business. If you have employees, you must file the final employment tax returns, in addition to making final federal tax deposits of these taxes. Also attach a statement to your return showing the name of the person keeping the payroll records and the address where those records will be kept.

The annual tax return for a partnership, corporation, S corporation, limited liability company or trust includes check boxes near the top front page just below the entity information. For the tax year in which your business ceases to exist, check the box that indicates this tax return is a final return. If there are Schedule K-1s, repeat the same procedure on the Schedule K-1.

You will also need to file returns to report disposing of business property, reporting the exchange of like-kind property, and/or changing the form of your business. If you do not have a pre-printed envelope in which to send your taxes, refer to the Where To File page for a list of addresses. Below is a list of typical actions to take when closing a business, depending on your type of business structure:


    * Make final federal tax deposits
          o Electronic Federal Tax Paying System (EFTPS)
          o Form 8109-B
    * File final quarterly or annual employment tax form.
          o Form 940, Employer's Annual Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax Return
          o Form 941, Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
          o Form 943, Employer's Annual Tax Return for Agricultural Employees
          o Form 943-A, Agricultural Employer's Record of Federal Tax Liability
    * Issue final wage and withholding information to employees
          o Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement
    * Report information from W-2s issued.
          o Form W-3, Transmittal of Income and Tax Statements
    * File final tip income and allocated tips information return.
          o Form 8027, Employer's Annual Information Return of Tip Income and Allocated Tips
    * Report capital gains or losses.
          o Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
          o Form 1065, U.S. Partnership Return of Income
          o Form 1120 (Schedule D), Capital Gains and Losses
    * Report partner's/shareholder's shares.
          o Form 1065 (Schedule K-1), Partner's Share of Income, Credits, Deductions, etc.
          o Form 1120S (Schedule K-1), Shareholder's Share of Income, Credits, Deductions, etc.
    * File final employee pension/benefit plan.
          o Form 5500, Annual Return/Report of Employee Benefit Plan
    * Issue payment information to sub-contractors.
          o Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income
    * Report information from 1099s issued.
          o Form 1096, Annual Summary and Transmittal of U.S. Information Returns
    * Report corporate dissolution or liquidation.
          o Form 966, Corporate Dissolution or Liquidation
    * Consider allowing S corporation election to terminate.
          o Form 1120S, Instructions
    * Report business asset sales.
          o Form 8594, Asset Acquisition Statement
    * Report the sale or exchange of property used in your trade or business.
          o Form 4797, Sales of Business Property

References/Related Topics

    * Canceling an EIN – Closing Your Account
    * Closing a Business
    * Contact local and state agencies.
    * There may be requirements relating to state and local governments as well. You can use the State and Local Government on the Net to link to the state and/or local government(s) that apply to your business.


If you are ready to order for corporation dissolution  or a (LLC) Limited Liability Company  dissolution please click order now button or if need addition information please click read more. You can also use our 24/7 live chat service for free consultation or toll free +1 (866)754 4460



Committed to give our users most updated news!
For instant news please subscribe at

Leave Your Comments
Your name :
Email Address : Will not be published
Please enter your email if you want us to send answer to your email. We have a strict policy of not to share your email address with any other party.
Your message :
Insert these letters into the textfield below: (required, case-sensitive): OdDZd
Do you want to Subscribe for
InfoTaxSquare Business News Bulletin?
Comments (1)
Roger   wrote on : Sun Oct 28th,2012
Do you file all the papers needed to the state,in this case N.C. ? Also are there any papers that you need to file with the federal government ? This is for a dissolution for a s-corp.      View Detail
Reply :
Dear Roger:

Thanks for choosing for your business needs.You are required to file articles of dissolution to cancel your company. Once your S-corporation is terminated then you are also required to notify to the Internal Revenue Service about your S Corporation Dissolution.

To place an order to terminate your company in the state of North Carolina, you can either use the following link or call us at 516.822.3100.

You can also use the following link to read more about our services.

Committed to give our users most updated news!
For instant news please subscribe at
Business Documents

Load More - 10 Successful Years
Copyright © 2010, Infotax Square All Rights Reserved. - Allows Payment Processing With Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover
Terms and conditions, features, support, pricing and service options subject to change without notice.